Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Indomitable Umaiyan

I was involved in writing a big article on the Marudhu Brothers
of Sivaganggai. It also involved the history of UmaiDurai alias Umaiyan of
Panchalankurichi. People only remember him as the younger brother of
KattaBommu.

While I was writing it, I came to realise that the motives and
the abilities of Umaiyan were far more complex and far-reaching and
unless I wrote in detail, the real insight into the personalty of Umaiyan
would be lost forever.

Unfortunately, Umaiyan is one of the historical figures who got
outshone by the lustre cast on the others around him. He rather got
pushed inside the shadows of people who were actually lesser than the
calibre of Umaiyan.

Historians have not done due justice to Umaiyan.

People dont realise that he was a prime mover of the pawns
and that he commanded a greater degree of respect and had built up
a network which extended right upto the Maratha territories and involved
such historical figures like Doondaji Waug, Tippu Sultan, and others.

If Napoleon had won in the war in Egypt, things would have been
different. And if the French army from Java had managed to reach
Tamilnadu, the dreams of Umaiyan and Chinna Marudhu would been
realised.

7 Comments:

Blogger ioiio said...

echooch mee..
Dont write in note pad and paste it here.. it doesnt get aligned as u can see in this post..

12:29 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Interesting Dr.Jaybee Sir. First time here. Thanks for letting me know about your nice 'History'Blog.

I love Indian History. Thrilled to see a small piece on long forgotten 'Umai Thurai'. I feel sad that we've forgotten a lot of our Tamil freedom fighters.

Please keep writing.!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Ram.C said...

This is a good piece

Am keen in reading some interesting stuff here. Keep writing.

4:07 PM  
Blogger visithra said...

JB Sir - welcome to blogging :))

I'm thrilled you're blogging in English. Finally get to read them, something I've been missing at YS's.

11:51 PM  
Blogger A-A said...

I have been around in blogging for over a year.
Since I found that nobody visits this joint, I was not very much interested. So I desisted.
Moreover Agathiyar demands all my available time.

I made this English, because there are a lot of things about Thamilziyam that the Tamil-reading Tamilians can be told.

But I find that there is a tremendously large section of Tamilians who dont read Tamil for various reasons.

Furthermore, the non-Tamilians also may be interested in such Tamilziyam-related subjects.

Hence - English.

I am also working on a huge website.

12:54 AM  
Blogger visithra said...

A year? Humm I noticed 2 months on your archive :) Probably the reach is not there as, your blog is not listed on any blog indexes. I suggest an enlisting under

http://india.blogstreet.com

http://indibloggers.blogspot.com

the Malaysian ping agent is

http://www.petalingstreet.org - however this will require you to register and manually ping your new posts.

And listing at

http://www.mycen.com.my/search/blog2.html

There are a number of us who will be very interested in reading your works. :))

2:09 AM  
Blogger A-A said...

There are two of them

petaling street

and

project petaling street.

One of them seems to be commercial.
I joined both of them.

If there are readers, then I have no injunctions against posting.

OK then......

:-)

One of the real adventures, then.........

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home